August 26, 2015 by Nicole
The Center for Contemporary Dance will take audiences into the rehearsal studio for a preview of new and repertory works from some of the area’s established and emerging choreographers at a special Choreographers’ Showcase event.
The Showcase will include selections from up-and-coming dance makers who have emerged as “Ones to Watch” from the organization’s Pre-Professional Program. The Showcase concludes with an opportunity to speak with the Artistic Directors, guest choreographers and company artists to learn more about the process of dance making and to ask questions about presented works.
During these up-close, limited-seating performances, choreographers will unveil a selection of new contemporary dance works, including excerpts from upcoming events in the 2015-2016 performance season. The Choreographers’ Showcase includes works created by:
- Dario J. Moore: Artistic Director, Moore Dance Project*
- Dawn Stewart-Branch: Artistic Director, Dawn Branch Works*
- Nikki Peña: Artistic Director, Coby Project*
- Emmanuella Dorcely: Artistic Director, Tajma*
- Christopher Gonzalez LaCorte: Artistic Director, Explore Theatre & Dance Company*
- Glynn Owens: Artistic Director, 2nd Sight Dance Company*
- David Gabriel: Artistic Director, DG’s Afro-Latin Dance Project – Orlando, FL (appearing Sunday only)
- Jennia Shanley: Guest Choreographer – Chattanooga, TN
- Douglas Horne: Guest Choreographer – Orlando, FL
- Evan Bundrage: Artistic-Director-in-Training & Pre-Professional Student Choreographer**
- Cyrene Molineros: Pre-Professional Student Choreographer**
*Resident company supported by The Center for Contemporary Dance
**Pre-professional student at The Center for Contemporary Dance
“As an education and incubation center for emerging perspectives in dance,” says Executive Director Craig W. Johnson, “it’s important to introduce the community to contemporary dance in ways that extend beyond the traditional stage. In addition to seeing some compelling dance selections, audiences will discover more about what motivates the creative process and become acquainted with some of the areas finest dance makers.”
Performances will at The Center for Contemporary Dance in Winter Park, FL. Proceeds from the Showcase benefit the organization’s Residency Program, which provides resources for seasoned and rising choreographers, and has supported the launch of 13 of the area’s professional modern and contemporary dance companies.
Saturday August 29 at 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, August 30 at 3:00 p.m.
The Center for Contemporary Dance
3580 Aloma Avenue #7
Winter Park, FL 32792
$12 (advance); $15 (at the door)
Call (407) 695-8366 or purchase online at www.thecenterfordance.org
Seating is limited and advance purchase is recommended.