September 4, 2015 by Nicole
Featuring students of all ages and the organization’s pre-professional dancers, MAKULU (mah-koo-loo) fuses West African and contemporary choreography inspired by the ecological phenomenon of the Great Serengeti Migration, which annually involves the unified movement of thousands of wildebeest and zebra across the African continent. Using animal allegories to highlight the importance of family, MAKULU tells the emblematically true story of a mother wildebeest’s courageous journey to bring home her newborn calf and reunite with her herd. Under the artistic direction of Dario J. Moore, MAKULU brings together cultural music, contemporary West African dance and poetic narration by favorite Oprah guest Dr. Tererai Trent, offering audiences of all ages a unique alternative to other holiday dance shows.
Makulu will be presented at 2pm on December 6, 2015 at Trinity Preparatory School. It is the Center for Contemporary Dance’s winter concert.
Dancers of all ages and ability levels are invited to perform with CCD in Makulu. Dancers must register and then select and consistently attend any one of the following weekly rehearsals. Each rehearsal pertains to a specific dance work; all dances are contemporary African works, and creatively explore a concept relevant to the show’s overall theme.
How to register for Makulu
1. Review and agree to the participation requirements.
2. Select an age- and level-appropriate rehearsal slot (see below)
3. Review the schedule of additional and final all-cast rehearsals.
4. Register online now.
Weekly Rehearsal Options
Students must choose a rehearsal that best matches their age, skill level and availability as detailed below. Rehearsal starts the week of September 7, 2015:
- Monday, 4:15 – 5:15 p.m.: Intermediate/advanced dancers ages 9 to 12
- Monday, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.: Serious-minded beginner/intermediate dancers ages 7 to 9
- Friday, 3:30-4:30 p.m.: Ages 3 to 6
- Friday, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: All levels, ages 11 to adult
- Friday, 7:45 – 9:00 p.m.: Intermediate and advanced dancers ages 9 to adult
- Friday, 7:45 – 9:00 p.m.: All levels, ages 9 to adult
- Saturday, 9:00-10:00 a.m.: Ages 3 to 6
- Saturday, 1:15 – 2:30 p.m.: Intermediate/advanced dancers ages 9 to 12
- Saturday, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: Beginners ages 6 to adult
- Saturday, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.: Intermediate/advanced dancers ages 9 to 12
- Saturday, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.: All levels, ages 6 to adult
- Saturday, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.: All levels, ages 7 to adult
Note: The school is closed on Monday, September 7.
Photo by Colin M. Lehman