March 18, 2016 by Nicole
The Summer Intensive Program at the Center for Contemporary Dance is designed to advance the artistic and technical skills of intermediate, advanced and pre-professional dancers, ages 11+ with at least 5 consecutive years of training in ballet and modern dance.
The Intensive emphasizes the technical principles of classical ballet (Vaganova Method), jazz and modern dance (Graham and Horton Techniques) alongside a creative curriculum that includes extensive exploratory work in contemporary dance and improvisation. Dancers will learn new approaches to expressive storytelling by developing emotional and artistic connections to assigned choreography and related coursework, in a creative and encouraging environment.
While choreography is learned across the Intensive, the program is centered on refining and expanding the dancer’s technique. The final showcase will present the in- progress works learned during the program along with creative demonstrations of solid technique.
For complete program information, including details about curriculum and fees, please review the Summer Intensives Registration Handbook.
A program audition is required for students to be place into the Intensive program and must be completed by July 1, 2016. Resumés, photographs, and solo performances are not required for in-person auditions. In-person auditions consist of attending both an intermediate/advanced modern class and an intermediate/advanced classical ballet class on the current class schedule. Call (407) 695-8366 to schedule audition classes.
Non-local applicants may audition digitally. Digital auditions consist of submitting DVD work samples that demonstrate the candidate’s skills in classical ballet and modern dance. Please see the Digital Audition Form on page 11 for complete instructions on applying digitally. Digital auditions must be postmarked by July 1, 2016. All audition candidates will be notified of placement via email within three days of the audition.
Who is eligible?
- Acceptance into the Summer Intensive Program is by audition.
- Candidates must have at least 5 years of continuous training.
- Students must attend all weeks of a given Intensive Program.
How to Register
- Students may register and pay in advance prior to auditioning; for visiting students, an in- person or digital (DVD) audition is required by July 1, 2016. Please call (407) 695-8366 to schedule an in-person audition; see details below for completing an audition by DVD submission. Auditions are used for purposes of placement; audition candidates not yet at the skill level for the Intensive Program will receive a full refund for tuition fees paid in advance.
- Please read the Handbookthoroughly and contact a School Advisor with any questions by calling (407) 695-8366 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fully complete the Program enrollment forms on pages 8-10 of the Handbookand return with the $25 non-refundable audition fee (visiting students only) to the lobby service desk (Mon-Fri, noon-8 pm; Sat 10 am-1 pm) or mail to: The Center for Contemporary Dance, 3580 Aloma Avenue #7, Winter Park, FL 32792.
Call (407) 695-8366 or email email@example.com with questions about the Program.